National Historic Landmark. Section of the City of Haines, 1.1 km (0.7 mi) S of Haines; former incorporated City of Port Chilkoot merged with Haines in March 1970, T 30 S, R 59 E, Copper River Mer.
Former incorporated City of Port Chilkoot merged with Haines in March 1970; originally named Fort William H. Seward in 1904 by the War Department; in 1922, the name was changed to Chilkoot Barracks for the Chilkoot Indian tribe; about 1943 private citizens purchased the land and renamed it Port Chilkoot. Established by Executive Order on December 31, 1898, and first known as Haines Mission, Fort Seward was the last of 11 military posts established in Alaska during the territory's gold rushes between 1897 and 1904. Founded for the purpose of preserving law and order among the gold seekers, the fort also provided a U.S. military presence in Alaska during boundary disputes with Canada. The only active military post in Alaska between 1925 and 1940, the fort was closed at the end of World War II. The City and Borough governments have merged and the comprehensive plan has been rewritten. The planning commission has incorporated the use of the Design Standards Guidelines as it reviews proposed projects to the histor