in Chilkat Inlet, 1 mi. SW of Chilkat and 19 mi. SW of Skagway, Coast Mts.
Descriptive name given in 1869 by Commander Meade, U.S. Navy (USN). It was called "Os(trov) Peschanyy," meaning "sandy (or gritty) island," by "Captain Lindenbert" in 1838. In 1868, it was called Indian Island by Commander Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), and Farewell Island, through a mistranslation of "Peschanyy," by G. D. Davidson, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), in 1869. It has also been called Stony Island and Observatory Island (1883, Coast Pilot, p. 197). According to Aurel and Arthur Krause (1883, map), the Tlinget Indian name is Chlachatsch; according to W. H. Dall, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), it is Shla-hatch (1883 Coast Pilot, p. 197).
Carrs Cove, Chilkat Inlet, Chilkoot Inlet, Kalhagu Cove, Kelgaya Bay, Letnikof Cove, Lutak Inlet, Mud Bay, Paradise Cove, Portage Cove, Pyramid Harbor, Shiyi Bay, Taiya Inlet, Taiyasanka Harbor, Tanani Bay,
Anchorage Point, Battery Point, Chilkat Peninsula, Dok Point, False Battery Point, Glacier Point, Green Point, Halutu Peninsula, Kaskulu Point, Kelgaya Point, Lehunua Point, Low Point, Nukdik Point, Seduction Point, Taiya Point, Tanani Point, Zimovia Point,