on W shore of Chilkat Inlet, 1.4 mi. NE of terminus of Davidson Glacier and 25 mi. SW of Skagway, St. Elias Mts.
Boat across Chilkat Inlet or get an air taxi from Haines.
Glacier Point is a spit of land pushed out and deposited by the Davidson Glacier. Until the late 1900's Davidson Glacier used to continue flowing out on to Glacier Point but now it terminates at the base of the mountains.
Much of Glacier Point is privately owned, however there is an airstrip and trails open to the public. Most of the area around the lake and all around the glacier is public lands.
There are periods of high bear activity on the trails that lead to Davidson Glacier. Check with the visitor center before heading over. 907-766-2234
Named in 1869 by Commander Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), and published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 196). Lindenberg called it Lohtianoi or Icy Point in 1838 on Russian Hydrographic Dept. Chart 1396.