off W shore of Lynn Canal, 2.5 mi. SW of Chilkat Island and 53 mi. NW of Juneau, St. Elias Mts.
Named by Commander R. W. Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), in 1869 for the master of the American Schooner Louisa Downs, which was wrecked on the island in 1867. The name was published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in the 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 196). The Tlingit Indian name for this island is "Schikuk" (Krause, 1885, p. 253).