in course, near mouth of Chilkoot River, NW of Chilkoot and 12 mi. SW of Skagway, Coast Mts. 3.6 miles long.
Named for the Chilkoot tribe of Tlingit Indians, who lived on its shores. It was called "Chilcoot" or "Akha" in the 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 200). Aurel and Arthur Krause (1883, map) called it "Tschilkut S(ee)," meaning "Chilkoot Lake."