in Glacier Bay National Monument, heads in Plateau Glacier, trends E to Muir Inlet, 1.6 mi. NW of Point McLeod and 63 mi. NW of Hoonah, St. Elias Mts.
Named for the U.S.S. Wachusett which entered Glacier Bay in 1881. The inlet has been formed since 1907 by the recession of Plateau and Muir Glaciers. It was named "Cushing Inlet" for Cushing Glacier by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) and published on Chart 8306 in 1942. It was called "Wisconsin Inlet" by members of the Glacier Bay Expedition of 1941 (Field, 1947, map), because John Muir, R. S. Tarr, Lawrence Martin, and F. T. Thwaites, geologic investigators in this area, were connected with the University of Wisconsin.