in Glacier Bay National Monument, trends N-S to Icy Strait, 18 mi. W of Juneau, St. Elias Mts. 40 miles long.
Named in 1880 by Captain L. A. Beardslee, U.S. Navy (USN), and published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 188). The estuary was first entered by Lieutenant C. E. S. Wood in 1877 and explored by John Muir in 1879. The historic Tlingit name, Kaasteen Gheey, refers to the name of a young Tlingit woman who was killed by a falling glacier.
Black Cap Mountain, Mount Bulky, Mount Cadell, Contact Peak, Mount Favorite, Hugh Miller Mountain, Mount Kloh Kutz, Knob G, Marble Mountain, Mount Merriam, Pyramid Peak, Red Bed Peak, Mount Skarn, Tlingit Peak, Mount Wood, Mount Wordie,