at mouth of Adams Inlet, on Muir Inlet, in Glacier Bay National Monument, 2 mi. SSW of Point George, 55 mi. NW of Hoonah; St. Elias Mts.
Camp Muir was named in 1890 by Reid (1892, p. 21), 1st the George W. Elder cast anchor in Muir Inlet, not far from the glacier, and landed our instruments, tents, personal baggage, and provisions on the eastern shore. and Mr. Loomis encamped there * * *. and, in honor of Professor Muir we named it Camp Muir." point of land was named for the camp. Indians as "White Mans Point," probably because of the tourists who landed there.