in Glacier Bay National Monument, heads 1 mi. NE of Mount Wright, trends NW to its terminus, 0.5 mi. S of Adams Inlet and 53 mi. NW of Hoonah, St. Elias Mts. 2 miles long.
Descriptive name given in 1892 by Reid (1892, p. 33), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), because "for a mile or more the glacier is so completely covered by debris that no ice can be seen." Since 1892 this glacier has retreated almost three miles and has nearly disappeared.