on E shore of Lynn Canal, 0.6 mi. SW of mouth of Sweeny Creek and 46 mi. NW of Juneau, Coast Mts.
Named in 1869 by Commander R. W. Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), for General William Tecumseh Sherman, 1820-91, Civil War general. The name was published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in the 1883 Coast pilot (p. 195).