on upper tributary of Johnson Creek, 3.5 mi. SE of Point Sherman on Lynn Canal and 44 mi. NW of Juneau, Coast Mts.
The name first appeared in mining records in 1881, when Richard Dailey, Charles B. Sherry, and James E. Woods claimed water in the gulch for mining purposes. The name is derived from the heavy snow slides down this gulch each spring (DeArmond, 1957, p. 40). This name was reported in local use in 1906 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).