on E shore of Lynn Canal, at N entrance to Berners Bay, 1 mi. N of Point Bridget and 37 mi. NW of Juneau, Coast Mts.
Discovered about July 17, 1794 by Joseph Whidbey, Royal Navy (RN), and named by Captain George Vancouver, probably for Saint Mary Wiggenhall, birthplace of his mother (Wagner, 1937, p. 407). and named by him St. Makarius (St. Markiana). See Amchitka Island.