in Glacier Bay National Monument, heads on Alaska-Canada boundary, 7 mi. SW of Mount Harris, trends SE to burroughs Glacier, 49 mi. SW of Skagway, St. Elias Mts.
Named Cushing Plateau by Reid (1896, pl. 90), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), for Henry Platt Cushing, 1860-1921, one of his companions on his expedition to the Muir Glacier in 1890. Cushing was born in Ohio and was educated at Cornell and Columbia Universities and in Germany. He taught geology at Western Reserve University from 1891 until his death. His principal investigations were done on the geology of New York State. In 1890 he accompanied H. F. Reid to Muir Glacier, and was in charge of the meteorologic records, geologic studies, and the collection of plants. This glacier is shown as the Northwest Tributary of Muir Glacier by F. Reid (1892, pl. 14), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). It was published as Cushing Glacier by International Boundary Commission (IBC) in 1923 on map 9 (1951 atlas).