population 686, on E shore of Port Frederick, 2.5 mi. S of Point Sophia, on Icy Strait, 40 mi. SW of Juneau, Alex. Arch.
This is the principal Huna village. The Huna (Hoonah), a Tlingti tribe in the Cross Sound area, camp in the summer from here northward to Lituya Bay. This village was called "Gaudekan" (Kantukan), meaning "bell town," its population was 800 in 1880, 447 in 1900, 462 in 1910, 402 in 1920, 514 in 1930, 716 in 1939, and 563 in 1950. The Hoonah post office was established in 1901 and thus was responsible for giving the village its presen t name.