one of Pribilof Islands.
Early in June, 1786, G. G. Pribilov left some hunters on St. George Island with provisions for the winter. A year later, on June 29, 1787 (Old Style (O.S.) calendar), an unusally clear atmosphere permitted the promyshleniki to see another large island 30 miles northward which they named "Saint Peter and Saint Paul," because it was the dedicated day of those two Holy Apostles. The first half of the name was soon lost in popular usage (Bancroft, 1886, p. 192 and 193).