population 1,891 on Kenai Peninsula, at NW end of Resurrection Bay, Chugach Mts.
Named for William Henry Seward, 1801-72, U.S. Secretary of State, 1861-69, who negotiated the purchase of Alaska. "The town was founded in 1902 by surveyors for The Alaska RR. (built 1915-23) as the ocean terminus of the RR. with an airfield and an ice-free harbor, it is an important supply center for the Alaska interior" (Bridgewater and Sherwood, 1950, p. 1799). A post office was established here in 1895, discontinued in 1896, but reestablished in 1903 (Ricks, 1965, p. 57). Its population was 534 in 1910; 652 in 1920; 835 in 1930; 949 in 1939; and 2,114 in 1950.
Bear Creek, Box Canyon Creek, Clear Creek, Cottonwood Creek, Fourth of July Creek, Godwin Creek, Japanese Creek, Likes Creek, Lost Creek, Lowell Creek, Martin Creek, Paradise Creek, Redman Creek, Salmon Creek, Sawmill Creek, Scheffler Creek, Spring Creek, Spruce Creek, Tonsina Creek,