on Lynn Canal, E entrance to St. James Bay, 1.4 mi. NE of St. James Point and 32 mi. NW of Juneau, St. Elias Mts.
Named by George Davidson, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), for Joseph Whidbey, Royal Navy (RN), one of Captain George Vancouver's principal assistants during his explorations in 1792-95 and Master of His (Her) Majesty's Ship (HMS) Discovery. The name "Point Whidbey" was published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 195). In 1889 Commander R. W. Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), called it "Point Grant."