Located on the N coast of Chichagof Island, extends SE from George Islands, 55 km (34 mi) WNW of Hoonah, Alexander Archipelago. 7.5 miles long.
Named in 1794 by Captain Vancouver, Royal Navy (RN), for Althorp, the eldest son of Earl G J Spencer (1758-1834) of England (in Wagner, 1937, p 372). Earl Spencer was made First Lord of the Admiralty in 1794. Vancouver was anchored here July 10-28, 1794.