From Palmer take Glenn Highway to Milepost 49.5, turn left onto Palmer-Fishhook Road. Stay on that and it will lead right to the Independence Mine parking lot. Generally the gate is closed and one will need to walk to the mine from the parking lot.
761 acres in size in secs 28&33,T20N,R1E,Seward Meridian
Independence Mine State Historical Park is an inactive gold mine set in the alpine along the East Fork of Fishhook Creek. It holds abandoned mining buildings in various conditions from preserved to dilapidated.
There are many trails around the area and descriptive signs for self-guided tours.
Established in 1980.
Independence Mine used to be two mines: The Alaska Free Gold (Martin) Mine, and Independence Mine. In 1938 the two mines merged into one company, the Alaska-Pacific Consolidated Mining Company (APC). Independence Mine became the largest producing mine in the Willow Creek Mining District. In 1941 the mine reached its peak employing 204 men, and producing 34,416 ounces of gold worth $1,204,560; today $17,208,000. The mine closed production in 1951 after mining over six million dollars in gold.