in Krenitzin Islands., Aleutian Islands. 10 miles long.
Aleut name transcribed by the Russians into various spellings and apparently identical with Aiaialgutak of Captain Lieutenant Krenitzin and Lieutenant Levashev, 1768 (Coxe, 1787, map p.205). The name Avatanak was published by Father Veniaminov in 1840 (v.1,p.198) and Captain Tebenkov (1852, map 26), where as Captain Lutke (1836,p.290) and the Russian Hydrographic Dept. (1847, chart 1379) used the spelling "Avatanok."