population 230, on W end of Monti Bay, 210 mi. NW of Juneau, Malaspina Coastal Plain
Tlingit Indian village; the principal winter village of the Yakutats, a subtribe of the Tlingits, reported by Ivan Petroff in the 1880 Census. Its population was 500 in 1880, 300 in 1890, 271 in 1910; 165 in 1920; 265 in 1930; 292 in 1939, and 298 in 1950. The Yakitat post office was established in 1892 and discontinued in 1895. It was reestablished as "Yakutat" in 1901 (Ricks, 1965, p. 72).
The Lagoon, Port Mulgrave, Ahduck Bay, Black Duck Bay, Broken Oar Cove, Deep Bay, Gonakadetseat Bay, Graveyard Cove, Humpback Cove, Monti Bay, Puget Cove, Redfield Cove, Rurik Harbor, Sawmill Cove, Sea Otter Bay, Shipyard Cove, Yakutat Bay,