population 44,237, on Knik Arm, Cook Inlet, 75 mi. NW of Seward, Cook Inlet Low.
Alaska's largest city, established in 1913 as the construction camp and headquarters of The Alaska R.R. to be built from Seward to Fairbanks. It was early referred to as "Ship Creek" and "Woodrow", but with the establishment of the Anchorage post office in 1914-15 the residents voted, August 15, 1915, to name the new town Anchorage. The name was derived from that of Knik Anchorage immediately off-shore from the new camp. Its population was estimated to be 6,000 in 1917, but in 1920 it was officially 1,856. In 1930 it was 2,277; 3,495 in 1939; and 11,254 in 1950.