on Beaufort Sea coast, 2 mi. S of Ross Point and 21 mi. SE of Barrow, Arctic Plain.
Named August 3, 1837 by Thomas Simpson (1843, p. 151), for a personal friend, a partner of Charles and Rowand in the fur trade at Fort Garry. The name was originally applied to the larger area, north of the lagoon, extending east of Ross Point.