On the N side of Tenakee Inlet, in the central eastern part of Chichagof Island, 50 mi NNE of Sitka, Alex. Arch.
Local name derived from "Tenakee," the former name of a cannery located 4 miles to the east. Tenakee Springs is a health resort because of the warm springs located here. It has a wharf, store, cafe, crab cannery, (U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), 1962, p. 145) and a post office, established here in 1903, called "Tenakee," but the name was changed to Tenakee Springs in April 1928. It was called "Hoonah Hot Springs" by Lieutenant Commander H. E. Nichols, U.S. Navy (USN), in 1891 Coast Pilot (p. 163).