population 460, on W coast of Kenai Peninsula, on E shore of Seldovia Bay, 16 mi. SW of Homer, Chugach Mts.
This village, named for the nearby bay, is recorded in the 1880 Census as consisting of "68 Kodiak natives and 3 Creoles. They are sea-otter hunters and live here in log-houses, and have a small chapel. "The 1890 Census (p. 163) gives the population as 99; 19 families in 17 houses with a small chapel. Seldovia post office was established in 1898 (Ricks, 1965, p. 57).