population 55, near mouth of Small River on Goodnews Bay, 11 mi. SW of Goodnews, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Mining village reported to have been named in the 1930's by Sam Cotten, a former miner, for the platinum deposits in the vicinity. In 1937 Platinum was Alaska's newest boomtown with a population of 50, two trading posts, a roadhouse and a post office which was established in 1935 (Ricks, 1965, p. 51) . Adjoining it was a Eskimo village, now abandoned, named "Agvik," reported to mean "small stone to Sharpen Knives,: The Eskimo name was obtained about 1951 at Goodnews by J. M. Hoare, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). In 1950 the population of Platinum was 72, and the village was the center of most of the commercial activity in t he area (U. S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1954, p. 516). The population was 43 in 1960 and 55 in 1970. Platinum was incorporated as a city on February 13, 1975.