On the NE shore of Lisianski Inlet in NW part of Chichgof Island, Alex. Arch.
Named for a fishing boat called "The Pelican" owned by Charles Raatikained, a founder of the town. The corporate name of the town in "Pelican," although it is frequently called "Pelican city." In 1943 there was a cannery, a small sawmill, a school, and a hotel here. A post office was established in 1939 (Ricks, 1965, p. 50).