population 169, on W coast of Kenai Peninsula, 38 mi. SW of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
This is an agricultural settlement, formerly a fur-farming and fishing village. Ivan Petroff (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1884, p. 27,) wrote "A number of 'colonial citizens,' or superannuated employe's (sic) of the old Russian Company, were ordered to settle some fifty or sixty (1820 or 1830) years ago at Ninilchik, and their descendants live there still." Its population in 1880 was 53; in 1890, 81; in 1920, 87; in 1930, 124. A post office was obtained in the early 1940's.