Capital of State of Alaska, on Gastineau Channel.
Former incorporated City of Douglas merged with Juneau in July 1970. The capitol of Alaska since 1900, originated in 1880 as a mining camp called "Harrisburg," nemed for Richard H. Harris, 1833-1907, who with Joseph Juneau discovered gold near here on Gold Greek and staked the beach as a town site. The mining camp also was called Rockwell by the U.S. Navy in 1881 for Commander Charles Henry Rockwell, 1840-1908, U.S. Navy (USN), who was sent with a detachment of men to the camp to maintain order. Because of the confusion of names, the miners met in 1881 and officially named the town for Joseph Juneau, 1826-99 (DeArmond, 1957, p. 23028). The population of Juneau was 1,644 in 1910; 3,058 in 1920; 4,023 in 1930; 5,729 in 1939; and 5,956 in 1950. The Juneau post office was established in 1882 (Ricks, 1965, p. 30).