On point between Golovnin Bay and Golovnin Lagoon, 42 mi. E of Solomon, Seward Peninsula High.
Eskimo village reported in 1842-44 as "Ikalikhvig-myut" by Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN). About 1890, one of the employees of the nearby Omalik mines married an Eskimo woman and established a trading post here. This man, John Dexter, became the center for prospecting information on the Seward Peninsula With the discovery of gold in 1898, Golovin became a supply-relay point of the Council goldfields north of here. In 1899 the Chennik Post Office was established here; it was discontinued in 1903. In 1899 the Golovin Post Office was established south of here, probably at Golovin Mission; it was discontinued in 1904. John Dexter was listed as postmaster of both of these offices. A new Golovin Post Office was established at this site in 1906 and was discontinued in 1958 (Ricks, 1965, p. 10, 23, 24). The name "Golovin," derived from Golovnin Bay and Lagoon, has become well established with only one "n." The population of this village was 38 in 1890; 140 in 1900; and 135 in 1930.