Extends N off Pacific Ocean indenting S shore of Suemez Island, Alex. Arch. 0.8 mile long.
Spanish name meaning "sand," given in 1923 by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) because it is "shaped like an arena (Eng.), and fringed by beaches of sand." The "Sandy Cove" was applied to this feature by members of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) steamer Lydonia, who sounded it in 1921. However, the name was changed because of duplication.