on N bank of Yukon River, 22 mi. SW of Holy Cross, Nulato Hills.
This is a common Eskimo name, meaning "people of the stream's mouth," published in Russian in 1861 by P. Tikhmeniev, presumably from information received from Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), in 1842-44. Ivan Petroff lists "Paimute," population 50, in the 1880 Census. It may be the same place Captain Raymond (1871, p. 25), USA, calls "Kuyikanuikpul." The village was originally located across the river, but was moved to higher ground about 1915. Hrdlicka (1943, p. 225) reports four villages with this name, in this vicinity, occupied at different seasons.