Extends east from Nuyakuk Lake to head of Nuyakuk River, 63 miles northeast of Dillingham, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains.
Eskimo name reported in 1891 as "Tikshik," variously written "Tikchik" and "Tukshik," by A. B. Schanz in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper. Ivan Petroff, in the 1880 Census, recorded the name as "Lake Nushagak, but this may also apply to Lake Beverley." The Eskimo names, "Nu-ya-kok" and "Nuyukuk", appear on a 1910 manuscript map by H. C. Fasset, U.S. Bureau of Fisheries (USBF). The name "Tikchik Lake" was adopted because of the long local usage.