one of the Islands of Four Mts., Aleutian Islands.
Named by the U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office in 1894 for Hilary Abner Herbert, 1834-1919, Secretary of the Navy. This island was called "O(strov) Ulyaga" by Lieutenant Sarichev (1826, map 3), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), and "O(strov) Ullyagin" by the Russian Hydrographic Dept. in 1847 on Chart 1379. These variant name differ from those published by Baker (1906, p. 264). See Four Mountains, Islands of.