On the W bank of the Nanushuk River, 16 mi upstream from the mouth of the Anaktuvuk River, 10 mi. SE of Outpost Mtn. and 36 mi. SE of Umiat, Arctic Slope.
Named by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) geologists during the exploration of Naval Petroleum Reserve No. 4, between 1944 and 1953, "because a name was needed for a type locality for the Shale Wall member of the Seabee formation."