On W bank of the Meade River near Imarkrak Lake, 100 km (62 mi) ESE of Wainwright and 95 km (59 mi) SSW of Barrow, Arctic Plain.
Name is an Inupiaq Eskimo word meaning "the place to dig the rock that burns," in reference to a large coal seam located here according to 1923 fieldsheet by E. C. Guerin, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Another Eskimo name, "Tikiluk," was reported in 1951. A post office was established there in 1951 with the name "Meade River." It was discontinued in 1957.