308 population, on S bank of Kuskokwim River at head of Aniak Slough, 59 mi. SW of Russian Mission, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
Founded about 1910 when a trading store was located here to supply the mining operations at the heads of Tuluksak and Aniak Rivers. A post office was established in 1914 (Ricks, 1965, p. 4). Aniak was incorporated as a city on June 1, 1972.