Located 5 miles north of Shuyak Island and 56 miles north of Kodiak Island.
Name given by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1910 in an effort to stem the increasing duplication of "Bobrovyye," published for this feature by the Russian American Company in 1849, and "Sea Otter," the translation of Bobrovyye, applied to these rocks by Baker (1906 p. 558). In 1910 "*** A suggestion was made (to U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) *** that the Indian (?) name for Sea Otter is Latax * * ". The word may possibly be from the Aleut "cngatua" meaning "hairy sea otter" according to R. H. Geoghegan.