between Alex. Arch. and Chatham Strait, extends SE from Peril Strait to Christian Sound, Alex. Arch.
Named in 1805 by Captain U. F. Lisianski, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), for Alexander Andreievich Baranov, first Governor of the Russian American colonies. Baranov was in charge of building the first headquarters of the Russian American Company (then the Shelikov Company) at Kodiak (St. Paul) in 1792, and moved it in 1799-1800 to Sitka (New Archangel).