population 179, on left bank of Yukon River, S of junction of Melozitna River, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Gold was discovered on Ruby Creek, near the site of this village in 1907; however, a town did not develop until 1911, when gold was discovered on Long Creek, and a "stampede" followed. A substantial town grew in 1 year, and for the next several years the population was over 1,000. Ruby post office was established in 1912. By 1920 the population was reduced to 128, and has remained under 200 since. Baker (1906 p. 415) recorded "Lozi-koket: Indian village, on left bank of the Yukon, opposite the mouth of Melozi (Melozitna) river, * * * Name taken from Edwards' Track Chart of the Yukon, 1899."