population 129, on right bank at mouth of Koyuk River, 31 mi. NW of Christmas Mtn., Seward Peninsula High.
Eskimo village reported in 1942-44 by Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), who recorded its name as "Kvynkhak-,iut," meaning "Kvynkhak people." Baron Otto von Bendeleben, Western Union Telegraph Expedition, wrote the name "Konyukmute" in 1865. The village became a supply center for local mining, and a trading station, called "Norton Bay Station," was established about 1900. A post office was established in 1930. The population in 1930 was 110.