At mouth of Shelman Creek, on N shore of Port Clarence, 6 mi NW of Teller, Seward Pen.
Established 1892 as Teller Reindeer Station by Sheldon Jackson, who named it for the Hon. Henry Moore Teller (1830-1914), U.S. senator 1876-82 and 1885-1909, and Secretary of the Interior (1882-85). The station was operated by the U.S. Government from 1892 to 1900. On September 1, 1900, a Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran mission was established and received 100 deer on a five-year loan from the Government (Jackson, 1906, p. 15). About 1906, the U.S. Government role diminished and the mission became dominant. The population in 1950 was 109. No population available prior to that year. In 1963 when the post office was established, the village council chose Brevig Mission to honor Reverend T. L. Brevig, the first missionary to the area. This may have been the site of an old Eskimo village. See Siniogamute.