population 122, on Tetlin River, 4.5 mi. E of Tetlin Lake and 20 mi. SE of Tok, Yukon-Tanana High.
Lieutenant Allen (1887, p. 77) wrote "We reached 'Tetling's' June 12, 1885 * * * six men * * * four women, and seven children, occuping two houses situat ed on a deep, clear stream, the outlet of a lake * * *." Apparently named for the local tyone or chief "Tetling." Lieutenant P. G. Lowe (Glenn and Abercrombie, 1899, p. 370), USA, wrote: "On August 29, 1898 we stopped at 'Tetling,' and were met by Chief David * * *. 'Tetlings' consists of four log houses * * *." In 1942, at the recommendation of Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), Board on Geographic Names (BGN) officially changed the spelling to "Tetlin" to agree with that of the river.