population 40, on N bank of Takotna River, 14 mi. W of McGrath, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Riverboat landing and supply point for the Innoko placer district, reported in 1910 as "Takotna Station" by Maddren (1911, p. 243), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The "Tokotna" post office was maintained from 1914 to 1926, then the name was changed to "Takotna" according to Ricks (1965, p. 63). The name is derived from the Takotna River. The population in 1930 was 65.