on W bank of Innoko River, near mouth of Ophir Creek and 35 mi. NW of McGrath, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Prospectors' name reported in 1908 by A. G. Maddren, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Discorvery of gold along Ophir Creek early in 1908 led to the establisment of a recording office in early summer 1908. Ophir Post Office was operated at intervals from 1909 to 1957. Its population in 1910 was 122; in 1920, 22; in 1930, 19; and in 1950, 68.