heads S of Cloudy Mtn. at 630900N,1560200W, flows NE and SW to Yukon River, 1.5 mi. E of Holy Cross, Innoko Low. 500 miles long.
This is probably an Ingalik Indian name recorded in 1942-44 by Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), as "R(eka) Innoka ili Shiltonotno," meaning "Innoka or Shiltonotno River." Zagoskin wrote that Alexander Kolmakov in 1838 called it "Legon," meaning "Tlegon," but it was known to the Russian colonial administration on the Yukon as "Chagelyuk." Accordingly, Zagoskin Shiltontno" to the middle course, and "Chagelyuk or Ittege" to the lower course. These presumbly were all Indian names of which "Tlegon," "Shiltonotno," and "Ittege" are no longer used. The river is now called "Innoko" (spelled that way in 1952 by the Russian Admiralty), and the name "Chagelyuk" still exists for Shageluk Slough.