population 349, near junction of Tanana and Yukon Rivers, Kokrines-Hodzana High.
Tanana was incorporated in December, 1912. The junction of the Yukon and Tanana Rivers had been a long and well established Indian trading locality before the coming of the European. See Nuklukayet. Except for the Indian name, the first mention of a settlement in this area was made in 1869 by Captain C. W. Raymond, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who on his map, applied the name "Fort Adams (American Station)," near the mouth of the Tozitna River. Near here, in 1880, Arthur Harper established his Alaska Commercial Company trading post, which he called "Nuklukyet," and which others often referred to as "Harpers Station." "St. James Episcopal Mission" or "Protestant Episcopal Mission of Our Savior" was founded in 1891 by Reverend J. L. Prevost, west of Mission Hill. About 1897, one mile downstream from the mission, the trading post of the Northern Commercial Company, "Tanana Station," was established and the Tanana post office was located here in 1898. A halfmile below"Tanana" was the post of t