village, on right bank of Yukon River, 25 mi. W of Galena, Nulato Hills.
Nulato, named for the nearby stream, was founded in 1838 by the "Russian Creole" Malakhov (or Nalakov) when he built a small trading post, without a stockade, consisting of a few small buildings. When he temporarily left for a few months, the Indians burned it. In 1839 the same thing happened. In 1841 Vasili Derzhavin (Derabin) was sent by the Russian American Company to the post. Again, in 1842, it was built and consisted of several detached log houses without a stockade. In the spring of 1851 the post was surprised by Koyukon Indians and most of its inhabitants killed, including Derzhavin and an English naval officer from the H.M.S. Enterprise, Lieutenant Barnard, who was sent inland in search for information about Sir John Franklin and his party. A new fort surrounded by a stockade was built 2 or 3 years later at the village's present location 2 miles up the Yukon (Bancroft, 1886, 572-574).