population 286, mile 411.7 on The Alaska RR., on left bank of Tanana River, E of mouth of Nenana River, 45 mi. SW of Fairbanks, Tanana Low.
Nenana, named for the nearby stream, became a base for railroad construction in 1916 near the location of the Nenana Indian Mission, (also called St. Marks Indian Mission) established in 1907. On July 15, 1923, President Warren Harding drove the golden spike at the north end of the 700-foot steel bridge over the Tanana River, marking the completion of the railroad. The population of the village was 190 in 1910; 634 in 1920; 291 in 1930; 231 in 1939; and 242 in 1950. The Nenana post office was established in 1908 (Ricks, 1965, p. 45). See Tortella.