On left bank of Kuskokwim River at mouth of Napaiskak Slough, 6 mi. S of Bethel, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
Eskimo village shown on an 1867 USC & GS map as "Napasiak" located on the right bank of the Kuskokwim River. In the 1880 Census Ivan Petroff lists "Napaskiagamute" with a population of 196. In 1890 "Napasheagamiut" contained 97 persons; in 1939, 67, and in 1950, 121. The present spelling of the name was first used in 1898 by J. H. Kilbuck, Moravian missionary. In 1956 the village had a Russian Orthodox church, school and about 30 dwellings (Oswalt, 1963, map and p. 11). Napaskiak was incorporated as a city on October 12, 1971.